Exempt animal sending movements
Fallow and trophy deer are exempt from the requirement to be NAIT tagged. However, you must still record the movement of these animals.
Exempt trophy deer can only be moved to a game estate, safari park or zoo. Trophy deer moving to any other location must be tagged. Trophy deer that arrive at a meat processor without a NAIT tag will be charged the impractical to tag levy of $13 (excluding GST).
There are two different ways to create an exempt animal sending movement. You can choose the option that suits you best:
Online in the NAIT system
Creating a movement for exempt animals is fast and easy using the online NAIT system.
- Log on to the NAIT system.
- Select 'create movement', and then 'sending movement'.
- Enter the NAIT number for where you are sending the animals and the date they were sent (can be up to four days in advance). Click 'continue'.
- Then choose 'create a movement for animals exempt from tagging'.
- Enter the details of the exempt animals including:
- the number of animals
- the exempt category (fallow or trophy), and
- a description of the animals (must include gender, breed and approximate age).
- Click 'continue' and if the details are correct click 'create movement' to complete it.
Please note: Creating an exempt animal movement will not automatically update the number of untagged deer on your property. This must be done manually in the NAIT number details section.
Use a paper form
If you do not have access to a computer or the internet, you can meet your NAIT obligations by using a paper form. Paper forms have a processing fee. For exempt animal movements this is $20 for any number of animals.
Call us on 0800 624 843 to request paper forms.